Two years ago my sweet friend Jessica got married. One of the items I helped her with was making a painted chalkboard frame. She wanted a Thank You chalkboard that she and her new husband could take a picture with to send out as part of their thank you notes. I just happened to have a perfect size frame that I had picked up at an antique store. It wasn’t very pretty in its current state:
So I painted it a pale yellow to match her wedding colors, distressed it and applied a coat of glaze and a few coats of Polycrylic.
For the chalkboard part, I used a thin piece of plywood and painted it with chalkboard paint. I knew the writing had to survive the wedding day, so I opted to not condition the chalkboard and to use a liquid chalk marker instead of chalk to write the Thank You hoping that would help it not be easily erased. Then I took it to my sister Happy who has the most beautiful handwriting.
And then it was ready for its photo.
Now fast forward two years – Jessica is pregnant!!! I am so very excited as I love sweet little babies. We had seen the many Baby Bump Progress Pins on Pinterest so we thought it would be very sweet to use their wedding chalkboard to document her baby bump. The Thank You that I was worried might get erased on the wedding day was still very present two years later. So I knew I needed to re-paint it with the chalkboard paint.
I started by disassembling the frame. Two years ago I didn’t have my handy framing point driving tool so to install the chalkboard in the frame, I used a gazillion staples and then covered them with masking tape. So to begin, I needed to remove the tape,
and then pull out the gazillion staples.
Then I sanded the chalkboard, and you can see I was crazy to ever worry about that Thank You getting erased on the wedding day. It did not want to go away!
So following the paint’s directions very carefully, I painted the board and then waited 24 hours before the next coat. It ended up taking 3 coats of paint to cover the Thank You (and that was 3 days, which felt like an eternity for this very impatient person who likes immediate results!)
But finally I had a board that was ready.
So then I conditioned the board with chalk. This is a process of rubbing the chalk lengthwise all over the board. This is supposed to help with erasing anything that is written on the board.
So after I conditioned the board, I erased all the chalk and then wrote on the board to see how it looked. And I hated it. The writing did not show up good (at least good enough to show up in pictures), and it also erased horribly. I was very disappointed. I waited 3 days to get to this point, and it stunk. (I am not sure why I had this bad result – online many people have had great results. My plywood was not totally smooth, so maybe that had something to do with it, and after this I read that you should wait 3 days after painting it to write on it, so maybe that would have produced better results.) But have no fear; I always have a plan B. And my plan B for this project was Chalkboard Vinyl Surface that I had purchased at Hobby Lobby.
So I placed the vinyl over the board letting it slightly overlap and then slowly applied the vinyl carefully smoothing it out as I went.
Once it was covered, I flipped the board over and cut off the excess with an X-ACTO knife.
Then I put the board back in the frame, and this time I used my framing point driving tool (much easier and neater!)
However, I again covered the edges with masking tape in that the frame edge was a bit rough from where I removed the staples. Then I added a wire so the frame could be hung.
I started by attaching the rings to the sides of the frame. I usually do this by myself, and the nails are tiny. I have found the easiest way to attach them is to first tape the ring to the frame (the directions say to put these straight up and down, but the wire naturally angles, so I angle the ring so the wire stays in the top of the triangle). Then I use needle nose pliers to hold the tiny nail in one hand, while I hammer it in with the other.
Once both rings were installed, I attached the wire to one end and then pulled it through the other and pulled the wire tight to figure out how long to cut the wire.
And now, it is ready to be a functioning chalkboard.
And after another trip to Happy’s, it is ready for its new photos!
Linking up with: The Blissful Bee