You may remember the story of our fireplace (here).
Well I am very happy to report that this is our fireplace today:
And, I did not paint it. Yes, I am a painter, and I did not paint our fireplace.
If you want the long story, here you go:
After cleaning the soot mess, then came cleaning the actual firebox. When the chimney sweep was here, he told me the smell that I smelled was coming from the black stuff (creosote) that was stuck to the back of the firebox.
I should have just had him clean it, but I was convinced I could do this on my own. So I Googled (I Google everything – Google is definitely something else I LOVE) and made my list of items I would need, and off to the store I went. I came home, taped up my drop cloth protection, mixed up my TSP solution and began scrubbing, and scrubbing, and scrubbing. This is one job that I wish I had never taken on. But I must say, the firebox is now clean(er) and no longer smells.
So after cleaning the firebox, there was caulking and repainting around the trim of the fireplace where it was removed and replaced due to the mold issue the leak caused.
And by this time, I was so over this fireplace that I did not want to spend another minute on it. We were hosting The Husband’s family for Thanksgiving, and I needed this done. I decided I would happily pay to have someone else finish this ongoing nightmare. When I told The Husband that I had called a painter, his response was, “but you are a painter” – yes, I am a painter, and I did not paint our fireplace.