The first thing anyone will notice when looking at our house is the two very prominent squatty windows.
And if those two were not enough, when the addition was done in 2005, they added 3 more squatty windows. Which left me in a squatty window quandary – how do you dress squatty windows? Our squatty windows lived with garbage bags taped over them for the first year that we lived here.
I had no idea what to do with these windows. The previous owners had vertical blinds on a couple and had nothing on the others. I am not a vertical blind person, but I do like my privacy. So garbage bags it was. Until my mother told me a year was enough. So I slowly begin properly dressing the windows.
- I started in the guest bedroom where I went with a gathered sheer panel:
They don’t sell this (because seriously – who has squatty windows?) so I had to make up this contraption. I purchased a regular long sheer panel and cut it in strips the height I needed, and then sewed the strips together to make two long squatty panels. (I did two instead of one so they would split in the middle for a center support for the rod). Then I added a pocket at the top and bottom of each panel for the rods. For the rods, I bought two standard curtain rods and a smaller dimension dowel rod that I painted to match the rod color. Then I pulled the rods apart and inserted the dowel in each end of the rods to make the rods long enough for the window. The brackets on the top are installed the normal way, and then the brackets on the bottom are upside down to keep the rod pulled down.
- Then I moved to the small hallway that leads to our bedroom. Here I purchased a cheap standard roller shade and added (what else?) a vinyl monogram to make it a little less standard.
- In our previous home’s laundry room, I had made a curtain for over the washer and dryer to hide the shelves:
In that our current laundry situation did not need such a curtain, I decided to alter it to fit one of the windows in the Girls’ room. I tricked this squatty window to make it look like it is not squatty at all. I attached the curtain to a 1”x2” and then attached the board with L brackets to the wall.
- For the other window in the Girls’ room, I used the leftover material from the laundry curtain and made a small tabbed panel and used a tension rod to hang it.
- So the only squatty un-treated window left in the house was the one in The Husband’s office. I knew none of the ways I had dressed the other windows would quite work in his office as they were all a little too girly. I finally came up with the solution to cover his window with privacy film. However, The Husband wanted to still be able to see out the window, so I decided to cover it with the film, but to leave a 1” border around each window section. This way we would have the privacy, but he could still see out.
So now, all squatty windows are dressed, and we are garbage bag free!