The last time you saw the hall, it looked like this:
Well, after living with the paper battens for over eight months, I finally decided it was time to tackle this project. The first thing I did was paint the hall. The Husband was aware that we were starting this project, and that I was painting first. Although, when he walked in hall and found me painting the top of the walls, he asked me why I was painting the top. My reply was that I did not like the color. He calmly turned around, and as he walked back down the hall, I heard him mumble “you are a painting fool.” OK, so I can kinda see his point. Did I paint this very hall when we moved in – yes. Did I pick out the color then – yes. Was it beige – yes. And am I painting it beige now – and that would be yes, too. What can I say – my taste change, and where I did like the color I originally painted it back then (as I also painted my office/craft room the same color), now I just see it’s undertone (which is weird because sometimes I see the yellow in it and sometimes the pink). Here was my sampling of colors I showed you when we did the foyer (and warned you not to paint your samples directly on the wall!)
I painted the winner in the den and dining rooms and love the color so much, that when it came time to finally get the hall done, I knew I had to paint it there, too. Here you can see the top of the walls the new color and the bottom the old:
As you can see, there is not a huge difference in the colors. The old color is Mushroom Bisque by Behr:
And the new color is Relaxed Khaki by Sherwin Williams (mixed at Home Depot with Behr paint).
Next I primed the bottom of the walls.
Then after painting the bottom with one coat of paint, we were able to start installing the battens. You can read more about that here in the Foyer Board & Batten post. One thing I did want to add is the process of installing the horizontal or vertical boards first. Some of the tutorials I read installed the vertical boards first, and then placed the horizontal board on top. However, in my old house, nothing is level. So if we cut all the vertical boards the same length, installed them on top of the baseboards, and then installed the horizontal board on top, the horizontal board would not be level (on one wall it was as much as ¾”). In that I am hanging pictures above the horizontal board, that would be noticeable. So how we proceeded was to start at the end of the wall section that was closest to a door (we are hanging our horizontal board to be centered with the horizontal strip in our doors). We then installed one to two vertical boards (depending on the length of the wall section) making sure if it was two, that they were level.
Once we installed the first board(s), we placed the horizontal board on top of it and then leveled the horizontal board and installed it.
Then we got the specific measurements for each of the remaining vertical boards.
Not only are our floors not level, our walls are nicely bowed.
(Oh, and I am sure you noticed curious Maggie checking out the nail gun.)
Once I get the gazillion seams caulked and then two coats of paint on, I will share the finished project.