As I told you in the screen porch post, we added a doggie door to the den and the new screen porch. However, after the first rain, we noticed that the door got very wet, and stayed wet after the rain had stopped. Then when the girls came in, the wet door would get them wet – and we couldn’t have wet little girls! So we set to build a doggie door awning.
*Disclaimer – The Husband and I are not contractors nor do we know proper code, but in that this was a doggie size awning, we felt we were OK.
First we added brackets to the screen porch post and then added pine lattice moulding to bring the post flush with the screening. We then added small trim to hold the side panels.
Once the side panels were in, we added the small trim to the other side to sandwich the side panels in place. Then I painted it all to match the deck.
Next came the top panel – for it, we used a piece of plywood and attached it to the lattice moulding using small hinges.
Maggie of course had to test it out several times while we were working on it.
We then needed shingles. We went to Home Depot thinking we could just buy cedar shake roofing shingles – but not so. When we explained what we were trying to do, the nice Home Depot man (who I am pretty sure thought we were crazy) told us that the cedar siding they had would suit our purpose just fine.
The Husband then cut the siding into smaller pieces so we could achieve the shake look. Having the hinges attached at the top came in handy when we installed the shingles as we could lift the panel up. We then found the placement we liked so we could begin installing the shingles.
For installation we started with, what else, roofing nails. First nail in split the shingle. So we turned to screws – wrong, that split the shingle too. So I then turned to my trusty friend, Liquid Nails – wrong yet again – it didn’t split it, but it also didn’t stick it. So then The Husband turned to his trusty brad nail gun – and we have a winner!
We used a piece of wood to act as a spacer between rows, and just worked our way up the panel.
Then we had to decide how to finish it off.
We finally decided to add a solid piece of the siding notched out for the screening. Once this piece was applied, we were no longer able to raise the panel on the hinges, but we don’t need to raise it so we were OK with that.
So now we have a cedar shake awning that will keep our little girls nice and dry!
Linking up with: The Blissful Bee